Wednesday 8 July 2015

The CADFA fast


Last Saturday five of us decided to do a sponsored fast as part of Ramadan for a day to raise money for CADFA. This involved not eating or drinking between 3am and 9.30pm. As all of us had never fasted before, we found the experience a lot harder than we thought it would be.  It was a hot day and as we couldn't drink anything including water we started to struggle soon after waking up. Some of us had prepared by waking up before sunrise to eat an early breakfast, which helped keep us energized throughout the day. At the end of the day we all met up at a restaurant with other CADFA volunteers to break our fast. Eating with us were others who had been fasting for many years and were used to participating in Ramadan.

"It was really difficult to begin with but once I got used to it, it got easier. I know have a lot of respect for the people who do Ramadan for a whole month" - Lucy

"Although I only fasted for a day I found the whole experience very difficult and challenging.  I have a lot of respect for those who take part in Ramadan and work in high temperatures!!"  - Sorcha 

"Fasting made me grateful for the food and water that I take for granted" - Saoirse



                                     These are a few photos of us breaking our fast together.

No comments:

Post a Comment